#Puppetgate.

Been a wee bit quiet around here of late due to much work having to be completed but couldn't let this pass without comment, albeit a very childish one seeing as much better bloggers than me have covered this too.

And with way fewer silly asides but heyho.

Anyway was online yesterday when I can across this ad for a new Autism based play called All In A Row.

Can you see what they did there?

And I'm not talking just about equating an Autistic person as a cake.

Even if it's a blue one.

Well we can be thankful it's not a bloody jigsaw piece.




 Anyway let's ignore the life-affirming and twee ableist nonsense about the power of love and the strength of family 'overcoming' the pain of raising an Autistic child for a minute and concentrate on the fact that the Autistic character is portrayed by a bloody puppet.

No, really.

And here it is:


You see according to the writer Alex Oates (who's worked with someone who knows a person with Autism when he was a care worker probably):

"The character in this play is so individual that to ask someone else to play it seemed wrong. Hence opting to research and represent his character this way."

I love the fact that all of a sudden we're seen as so complex that we can only be portrayed by puppets (and no, it being a guy that worked on Solo doesn't make it OK), where as previously we get loads of stick for not all acting like clones.

You know the old "You can't be Autistic as you're nothing like my 8 year old daughter!" nonsense we usually get.

To be honest I'm only annoyed because I wished I'd known all this t'other week when I had to go to a meeting, I could've sent the puppet instead.

Hopefully mine looks like Steve Zodiac from Fireball XL5.


Add caption

As an amusing aside I've decided to start a thread on Twitter.

Join in!

It's fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cop Out.

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?