A Day in The Life.



I always carry a messenger bag with me wherever I go (whether I need it or not, it's a kinda comfort thing) and I've got a couple of keyrings the podlings have bought me clipped onto the far side of it.

So far so normal but stick with it cos the story does get - vaguely - interesting at some point.

Honest.

A bag of the kind any sensible almost 50 year old guy would have.




This weekend the podlings got me a rather fab Star Wars keyring for on my bag which was particularly cool for two reasons:

1. It's Star Wars

and

2. It's in the shape of the letter A which is my initial.

See told you it was cool.


Anyway I was really wanting to show this off so that they knew I liked it so for a change I moved the keyrings to the front bit of my bag so you could see them better which was all well and good until that is I was heading to the shops today and noticed that the slight bumping of the keyrings against my bag was really annoying and also meant that my walk was slightly off.

As i was trying to ignore this I noticed that there was heavy duty cleaning getting done in the street which meant that not only was my gait odd but I had to cross the road at a place I never normally do.

Scary I know.

So I decided to throw caution to the wind and re-arrange my keyrings (from front to back) right there and then in order to take my mind off the route change and loud noises coming from the cleaning truck.

Obviously I could of drowned it out by turning my MP3 player up but that would have involved unzipping my jacket and taking it out of my pocket and let's be honest that would have looked a wee bit strange.

Probably.

Trust me when I say this thing was LOUD!

Anyway with keyring re-assignment achieved I continued off to the shops and completed my purchasing tasks perfectly.*

Until that is I got outside and whilst repacking my bag noticed that my new Star Wars keyring had gone.

So I did what any normal person would do.

I phoned home in a panic.

Luckily Ro is used to stuff like this and basically said that it was just a keyring and I should just head home.

Which I promptly did.

But not before retracing my steps round Morrison's to try and find it obviously.

Oh yes, and then go to customer services to say it was missing.

And finally retracing my shopping trip from finish to start in the hope of finding it.

And all whilst getting more and more upset because, well reasons.

It was at this point (actually that makes it sound like it was really quick whereas in reality I was 3/4 of the way home by now, carefully studying the ground for signs of my keyring - note to self, look up at crossings)  that the thought struck me, what if when I was swapping my keyrings around I'd inadvertently unclipped it from that metal hoop thing and it had fallen off?

And with that thought I ran as fast as I could to the point I'd swapped them over.

And guess what?

Yup, I found it!

It's Star Wars and it's my initial! How cool is that?!!?


And with that I sent Ro a photo to share the good news (because obviously she was sitting unable to work until she found out either way) before quickly calling her to see if I should go back to Morrison's to tell them just in case they had staff members looking for it.

She said probably not as they most likely said they'd search to placate me as I probably looked a wee bit mad.

And you know what?

She's probably right.

I mean she usually is.

And the reason I'm sharing this story?

Because I think that it sums up the way our Autistic brains work perfectly.

I reckon that anyone else on 'ver spectrum' reading this will totally sympathize with my dilemma whilst everyone else will have a good old chuckle and think I'm a wee bit mad before cringing slightly as they imagine it.

That's where I reckon I'm lucky to be married to someone who'll react with a mix of both, by being sympathetic of how I was feeling but still being able to have a good old chuckle whilst gently taking the piss.

And that ends todays TED talk.








































*Well I say perfectly but it was touch and go for a second at the tills, you see there was no-one infront or behind me which meant that as soon as I put an item on the conveyor belt it trundled toward the cashier which meant I kept having to go and grab it so I could lay everything out in order.

Yes, I know.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Cop Out.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?