The St. Enoch Centre.

A quick trot thru' town took me along to The St. Enoch Centre,
a huge shopping hub located in the city centre adjacent to St Enoch subway station.

But you probably already knew that.

 
The St. Enoch Centre - Named after Russell Enoch AKA William Russell,  famed for playing Ian Chesterton in Doctor Who. Probably.




 Now I've had dealings with the St. Enoch Centre previously in my real life job when we were planning to showcase the refugee art instillation I created in one of their empty shop fronts and found them incredibly easy to deal with plus for a large shopping centre as this St. Enoch's has a surprisingly non-oppressive atmosphere most probably helped by the fact that it has many plants breaking up the shops and coloured flags draped across the ceiling that seem to cushion the noise.

If you're interested the company that were commissioned to install the fabric work talk about it here.

You're welcome.

Anyway back to the review/Write-up/random wittering.

Grabbing a friendly looking (no really) security type bloke I asked for directions to the information desk and was nicely surprised when he offered to take me there and I excitedly explain my reasons as we went (I didn't want him to think I was a mentalist or something) - upon arrival he introduced me to the staff there and bid us farewell.

I wasn't at all surprised to find that St. Enoch appear to be fully committed to raising Autism Awareness as even a quick search online shows that the centre seems to be at the forefront when it comes to shopping-based Spectrum stuff.

The quiet room, not to be confused with the book The Quiet Room: A Journey Out of the Torment of Madness (Ed by Lori Schiller, Amanda Bennett).




From the creation of a quiet room for Autistic folk to showcasing a number of exhibitions regarding Autism to close ties with Scottish Autism -  the centre seems to genuinely want to make a difference to Autistic families with initiatives that are being planned to run long after Autism Awareness month is over.

And not only were the staff knowledgeable and open but they also seemed to have time for my questions, even going as far as giving me a tour of the quiet space and asking opinions on what they had planned.

And for once this seemed to actually mean centre wide, not just a few shops that can be arsed.

Buchanan Galleries please take note.

And it's this kind of attitude, couple with a commitment to ongoing staff training and an open, honest approach to the issues raised by trying to 'Autism-proof' a large shopping centre that can make all the difference.

Top marks.

They've even invited me back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cop Out.

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?