Bookbug's Big Picnic II.



Remember last week when I posted about Bookbug's Big Picnic and how I mentioned (in jest I might add) that I was thinking of 'stealing' a toddler or two for the day in order to attend?

Well fear not as someone let me borrow one instead* so off I went to Dennistoun Library to see what was occurring.


Dennistoun Library (obviously).


Upon arrival I was greeted by a lovely large, open area with a small marquee erected in the corner that was festooned with bunting and teddies (not to many mind) that immediately gave the story telling area a nice sense of intimacy, cushions had been placed and the friendly - and chatty - staff all seemed eager to join and happy to put up with my questions.

Which as regular readers know is always a good sign.

It wasn't long before the room was filling up with eager children (and parents) and time for our storyteller, Ailie Finlay, to begin.

Pulling props from her magic pinnie to link the mix of traditional songs and nursery rhymes, Ailie was brilliant - from the pitch of her voice to the colour of outfit (yes that's important, really) her open, honest manner and friendly delivery enchanted and captivated the amassed children - and adults too - as we made porridge, rode on buses and planted seeds in the garden all rounded off by goodie bags and seedlings for everyone involved.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any more exciting Bookbug him/her/itself turned up for photos.

 
Bookbug yesterday (tho' I may be right in thinking it's not a real species).






It made me wish that there had been activities this inclusive and welcoming when my 3 podlings were little but it's good to know that on a grassroots community level things seem to be getting much more accepting.

As it should be..

All in all a fantastic event that will hopefully continue.

Thanks to all the staff for putting up with me.

And if you're interested you can find out more about Ailie here.



































*Cheers for that! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cop Out.

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?