Grosvenor Cinema.

Was out with Twin-Thing 1 to see the fairly weird yet still enjoyable Detective Pikachu at the Grosvenor Cinema the other day* and it hit me how much I love the place which alongside the GFT has to be my favourite movie venue in Glasgow and, although not 'officially' Autism friendly accredited I still reckon that it deserves a huge thumbs up.



Situated in Ashton Lane in Glasgow's groovy West End, I must admit to having plenty of great nights here pre-podlings - from double bills of the 1989 Batman teamed up with the 1978 Superman to a fancy dress night out at the opening of Dick Tracy...gawd I'm old, it was also the first cinema we took our twins too (Revenge of The Sith in 2005 if you must know and we convinced another couple that they were named Luke and Leia on the way out) so as you can imagine it's a place I hold dear.

As they got bigger tho' we obviously gravitated to Autism friendly showings and then to Cineworld as they enjoy a look around the shops later, usually with Mum taking them as I've had a few meltdown causing experiences there myself (which you can read about here if you're so inclined....beware tho' it's on my 'other' blog so therefore contains swearing) but over the last 18 months or so I've managed to persuade them to give one of my favourite cinemas a go.

And I have to say the experience for them - and me - has been great.







A nice, intimate atmosphere, incredibly friendly and helpful staff who never seem to mind joining in whatever chat the girls (especially Amelia) engages them in, there's a lovely consistency to each visit (no matter what the film) that really puts you at ease the Grosvenor has once again become my go to cinema when out with the podlings.

The location is great too as it's busy enough to be interesting but not enough to be overwhelming when you hit the bright outdoors and you're mid-movie processing.

And all of this, as I said without a city council Autism Aware badge in sight.

Kudos all round but especially to the folk working Monday night at Detective Pikachu....sorry I didn't get your names!

Expect us for Godzilla King of The Monsters at the end of the month.

Oh and I'll no doubt be pitching my Spectrum Sinema Film Festival idea to you at some point!






































































*Seriously Detective Pikachu is extremely odd.....it's basically a kid-friendly remake of the 1989 Graham Baker classic Alien Nation (remember the one with James Caan, Mandy Patinkin and Terence Stamp drinking sour milk that spawned an ill-advised TV spin-off) with the climax to Tim Burton's Batman bolted onto the end and all shot on the set of Blade Runner but during the day.

Amelia, being little Ms Anime thoroughly loved it and I must admit to enjoying it myself tho' at the point where the characters arrive in Ryme City - a place where Pokemon and humans live and work side by side I'm sure I'm not the only person who upon seeing how realistically the CGI creatures and environments were realised thought to themselves this is a wee bit creepy....there must be Pokemon sex workers catering for the furry crowd that would no doubt flock there.

And at that point everything took a sinister turn that it never recovered from.

I'd like to blame Autism for this but it's probably just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cop Out.

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?