Brainsplaining Social Mapping.

Who'd have thought that being on lockdown would be so exhausting?

Not really had time to post anything of any worth here recently - tho' some folk would say I never do anyway - save for random rants regarding NT shopping habits and autistic pizza posts so gonna make a conscious effort to finally but on (virtual) paper some of the stuff we end up discussing after the podlings have gone to bed.


Our house - Friday nights. Fact.

It was during one of this (slightly alcohol fueled) Friday nights that the conversation got around to the autistic idea of having to meticulously 'map' or plan our lives - from day to day routines to traveling places, I've mentioned before how I need things to be precision perfect if I'm going anywhere/doing anything for fear of the unknown causing stress-induced meltdowns.

For example late last year I had to travel to London and seeing as it was a place I rarely visit (I've been 4 times in 50 years) I had to plan everything in advance.

And not in the way you'd probably think of planning.

You see, your common or garden NT type would probably need this:






Whereas I had printed pages of Google Maps, timetables for every form of transport I was getting (2 trains and the London underground) alongside notes of when to snack on the journey and a load of emergency phone numbers in case I got lost, for example here's a - small - sample of the information I needed to the question:

"How do I get to my hotel?"


So I had pages of this all printed off and ready for my journey.

And guess what?

I still got confused on the tube.

Luckily I remembered that the Underground Ernie theme lists all the subway stations so figured it out that way.

 
Thank you Miles Hunt.

Anyway, the whole conversation took a different turn when I admitted that although journey/day mapping was important (and somewhat tiring) the thing that took the most energy was when I end up having to do 'social mapping'.

And what is social mapping I hear you cry?

Putting it simply before I indulge/partake in any social situations (whether it be work or pleasure based) I spend an inordinate amount of time planning and then revising how the situation may play out.

This includes - but isn't exclusive to -  what chat will be expected, how/where to stand, what to talk about, who to talk to, what information is important to take in and from who and the like meaning that you consciously 'map' every - or as many variations as you can - single way each conversation/interaction could go so that nothing can be left to chance.

Obviously this doesn't include the kind of preparation that everyone does like dressing appropriately, not being too excitedly flappy and stuff like that.

Which if you think about it explains why if I have a drink when I'm out, I'm more likely to swap over to Coke after a while and never ever get drunk in public.



Me at a party (pre-Coronavirus obviously).





This doesn't just apply to social gatherings tho' - if we're at home enjoying a wee social tipple I'll often ask Rho if she's a wee bit drunk, not for any sinister/controlling reasons but because I know that if this is the case then I'll have to modify my conversation to suit.

The same goes if we're watching a movie and she dozes off - I'll give her a sharp nudge and go "Are you sleeping?" and if she say "No, I'm just resting my eyes" (which I've discovered a load of you do) I'll take that as the truth and continue to chat incessantly about the film, getting more and more frustrated that I'm not getting answers or replies.

Yes, I know she's sleeping but she's told me she isn't therefore my social mapping is still on movie-chat mode.

Confusing to some folk? 

Maybe.

Annoying at times?

Definitely. 

But not to me.

You see it's all totally logical - and normal - now you lot, your brains are really freaky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cop Out.

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?