Strange Days.

 *Warning! Rant incoming* 

Well after 2 days of transport related stress I'm absolutely shattered - post meltdown aches and headache coupled with a feeling of utter 'blah' (yes that's a real thing) due to the fact that it seems that when it comes to Autistic provision literally no-one in an position of authority gives a f*ck. Before anyone says it, yes I've been aware of this for years but one tiny detail has really struck me this morning.

In the last 4 months we've had 2 really abusive, uncaring drivers - firstly one who when asked to turn the radio down for a sound-sensitive kid answered "It's my taxi I'll play the radio if I want to!" before swearing at the kids to be quiet and on Thursday the grumpy arse who not only complained about picking up a child but didn't even bother locking the cab door allowing Cass to run into the road he was so stressed....

It's kinda hit me full on today (look I'm Autistic and sometimes I miss the obvious) but when it comes to taxi provision there are literally no safeguards in place, no training, no support, nothing....Glasgow City Council just farm it out to the cheapest bidder.

And yes, I know the majority of drivers are fine but that doesn't help when you can randomly find your child left with an utter shite-bag who isn't.

But what the hell do I know?

As I've mentioned before, I'm only an Autistic parent to 3 Autistic kids who spent nearly 20 years working with - and training staff - to work with 'the young people' (gah) from urban aid projects to social work groups via SEN schools.

As an Autistic person dealing with this, it feels that I spend all my time and energy trying to make the whole NT world feel comfortable around me, desperately trying to fit in with your whole nonsensical society and excuse-ridden mindset...

"It's not my fault it's the budget"/"We don't have the staff!"/"I never got the email!" To anyone guilty of this I'd just like to say again - and I'm gonna keep saying it till you fucking listen, trying to do what's right and behaving like a decent human being actually costs fuck all.

If something is wrong call it out. And if it makes you feel uncomfortable, congratulations you now know exactly how we feel 24/7. 

Empathy is great eh?

 


 



Comments

  1. Well said Ash I've had a belly full of cheeky taxi drivers who are not trained to drive autistic kids around ...they dont give a f..ck about the kids it's only a Fare to them. I know they are not all like this but it is getting out of hand . The either font turn up or they arrive at 9.20am ..not good when we are expected to be ready at 8am every bloody day aagh ..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Cop Out.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?