Question Time!

I really need to think up more original headings...sorry about that.

Anyway a quick question/post for my Actually Autistic readers  (esp. parents) on here....it's a long one so stick with me! 


 

So was at a meeting re: transitioning to higher ed with various colleges t'other eve...Interesting chats, lots of info on courses, support etc. 

Came to the point of any questions and I asked what I always ask whether it be for myself working or places/groups the kids go to/attend which is 'do you have any Autistic staff members?'

Please note I didn't demand names and addresses, exact numbers, photo evidence etc - just a simple yes or no...

I ask because 

A. It's important 

B. I like to know if they'll be a staff member(s) with lived experience basically so I know there's at least one I'm not going to scare with my intense chat! 

C. It's good to know if the whole 'inclusion' idea extends to the workplace too.

So I was quite surprised to be given what seemed a 'how dare you' stern lecture on privacy/safety/we can't ask staff etc before being shut down....fingers slapped, that's me told.

Remember it was a really basic yes or no question! So to prove the point I asked another attendee if they had staff with glasses which he laughed at before answering "Yes! Lots!" - I may have realised now that subtle sarcasm is not my strong point. 

Maybe it took her by surprise, maybe she misunderstood the question (the other folk seemed to get it) I don't know as she made no effort to actually talk to me about it later....

Which makes me think that the policy there is that if an Autistic student inadvertently upsets/questions a non-Autistic staff member it's OK to go off in a huff and not talk about it....and that maybe, just maybe the whole Autistic inclusion policy at this college is actually not as important as it seems outside a box ticking exercise....I can't imagine it's huffy because my question threw them, that'd be so childish!

So thoughts?

 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cop Out.

Spectrum Sinema: The Return.

Do Autists Dream of Electric Sheep?